SHELLY & SANDS, Inc. is much more than a highway construction company. SHELLY & SANDS, Inc. is an aggressive, cost-efficient, complementary group of corporations implementing cutting edge technologies with state-of-the-art equipment.
Founded in 1944, the first SHELLY & SANDS, Inc. asphalt plant was named Mar-Zane, in recognition of its Marietta-Zanesville roots. The first aggregate operation was purchased for $45,000 in 1946 and named the Muskingum River Gravel Company for the rich reserves along the Muskingum River. The first job involved a small paving crew of six men on a road outside of the tiny town of Dresden, Ohio.
Today, SHELLY & SANDS, Inc. serves eight major markets in three states and paves more roads in Ohio than any other company. Mar-Zane Materials has 23 asphalt and two concrete plants producing over three million asphalt tons and over 200,000 cubic yards of concrete annually. Additionally, SHELLY & SANDS, Inc. has nine aggregate operations with extensive reserves numbering in the thousands of acres.